Sunday, December 12, 2010

Max has learned to recognize several words, so when I say things like squeaky, ball, and chew toy, he goes into a frenzy.

“Max, go find your squeaky,” I’ll say, and he tears off across the house, searching until he finds it.

“Max, where’s your chew toy?” Within moments, Max returns with the chew toy in his mouth.

One day I decided to test just how far our little game could go. My son, Ben, was upstairs listening to his iPod. I had called his name several times to no avail. Figuring he had earplugs in his ears, I started up the stairs to get him, almost tripping over Max as I went. That’s when the idea hit me.

I stopped midway up the steps and looked down at the dog. “Hey, Max, where’s Ben?”

Max tilted his head to one side, as if considering my words.

“Max, go find Ben,” I continued.

To my surprise, he took off up the stairs, ran around the corner and disappeared inside Ben’s room. I waited. After a few minutes, Ben poked his head out, and Max ran back to me.

“Did you want me?”

I burst out laughing. “Yes. I’ve been calling you for five minutes.”

“Oh. Sorry. What did you want?”

“Never mind,” I said, waving my hand. “How did you know I needed you?”

Ben shrugged. “I didn’t. I just thought somebody was here or something.”

“Why?”

“Cuz Max wouldn’t leave me alone.”

I explained to Ben what had happened, including the part where I’d told Max to find him.

“He actually did it?” Ben said, laughing.

“I guess so.”

And that’s when it occurred to me. My command wasn’t difficult—go, seek, find. Rather than question or hesitate, Max took off to fulfill my request the moment he understood what I wanted.

Wouldn’t it be nice if God got the same response from us? His plan, after all, is much greater than mine. And the command is very much the same—go, seek, find.


Matthew 28:16-20 (New International Version)

The Great Commission

16Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. 17When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. 18Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Newsletter Subscribe

Followers

Categories

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Historical Romantic Suspense

Historical Romance

Comments

Comments

Popular Posts

Guest Registry