Wednesday, June 8, 2011

K. Dawn Byrd is an author of inspirational romance and romantic suspense. Mistaken Identity, her first young adult romance released on June 15, 2011 from Desert Breeze Publishing. Queen of Hearts, a WWII romantic suspense released in April 2010 and was the bestselling book for her publisher during its debut month. Killing Time, a contemporary romantic suspense, released August 1, 2010, also with Desert Breeze Publishing.

K. Dawn Byrd is an avid blogger and gives away several books per week on her blog at www.kdawnbyrd.blogspot.com, most of which are signed by the authors. She's also the moderator of the popular facebook Christian Fiction Gathering group at http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=128209963444.

When not reading or writing, she enjoys spending time with her husband of 16 years while walking their dogs beside a gorgeous lake near her home and plotting the next story waiting to be told.

Did you see yourself becoming a writer as a child? If not, what did you dream of being?

I wanted to be a veterinarian because I've always been an animal lover. When I discovered that I'd have to "doctor" injured dogs who'd been through trauma like car injuries, I decided it wasn't for me.

How long did you write before you sold your first book?

I studied seriously every book I could find on the craft and then began writing. I'd been writing for about a year when I signed my first contract.

Many of the people who follow our blog are aspiring writers themselves. Can you share your favorite writing tip with them?

My favori
te tip was given to me by an agent. She said, "Write something every day."

Good advice! Now for the readers…many times, it’s easy for them to connect with the characters in a book, but not so much the authors themselves. Share something about your day-to-day life that might help a reader to feel as though they know you a little better.

I've been married for sixteen years to a husband I love very much. I have a beautiful stepdaughter who is the light of my life. I live with my husband, an African Gray parrot and two spoiled rotten Chinese Cresteds and let's not forget tha
t I love fish and have six aquariums.

Now that you are published, do you still experience rejections? If so, how are these rejections different or similar to the ones you received before becoming published?

I recently experienced rejection from a publisher who requested proposals at a conference. I don't let that get to me because whatever is God's will for my life will happen.

That's a good attitude to have. Tell us a little about your latest release:

Eden Morgan makes a list of six goals to accomplish in order to have the best summer ever. Getting a boyfriend, which is perhaps the most important goal, becomes complicated when she and her best friend, Lexi, fall for the same guy. Since Lexi is popular, gorgeous, and always gets her guy, Eden thinks she doesn't have a chance.

Channing Johnson is everything Eden's ever dreamed of and she can't believe he just moved in next door. When he starts showing interest in her, she's overjoyed...until she sees him out on a date with Lexi. He says Lexi talked him into it to repay her for tutoring him. Lexi says they're in love.

Eden doesn't know who to believe and is forced to choose between her best friend and the guy of her dreams. Nothing is as it seems and no matter who she chooses, someone will get hurt.

Writers often put things in their books that are very personal—like a funny story that happened to them, a spiritual truth they learned through difficulty, or even just a character trait that is uniquely theirs. Is there something in Mistaken Identity that only people close to you know is about you or someone you know?

My heroine wants a blue Mustang for her sixteenth birthday. That's what I wanted and what ended up being my first car.

Readers often talk a lot about the hero and heroine of a story, but today I’d like to know something about your villain. Does he or she have a redeeming quality? Why or why not?

Lexi, my heroine's best friend, is my villain. She's gorgeous, spoiled, and vicious if she doesn't get what she wants. Her redeeming quality is that she takes care of her alcoholic mother.

What kind of research did you have to do for this book? Can you share some articles or website links you found particularly helpful?

I really didn't do any research because it's a contemporary young adult romance. I did ask my step-daughter some questions about modern day high school "life" since it's been a long time since I was a student.

Tell us what new projects you’re working on.

I just signed a contract for a young adult mystery series. My main character is a lot like Nancy Drew, but she's more mature and there will be more romance in my series than in Nancy Drew books.

The most common thing I hear when people learned I’ve published a book is, “I’ve always wanted to do that.” Faced with this statement, what advice would you give to someone just starting out in this business?

Study, study, and then study some more. It's hard out there.

Watch the trailer...



Connect with this author at www.kdawnbyrd.com.

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Newsletter Subscribe

Followers

Categories

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Historical Romantic Suspense

Historical Romance

Comments

Comments

Popular Posts

Guest Registry