Thursday, April 25, 2013


Like I said in my post on Tuesday, what works for some people doesn’t work for others. Finding what works for you is key, not only as a writer but in general for your life. Find your way, what works for you and your writing.

I don’t write well in the morning. My best time is after ten in the morning and all afternoon into the early evening. Of course, though, I need to write around my husband and our kids’ schedules—not only because I love their lives to be a huge part of mine, but also because I write best when the house is empty. Reading on a regular basis and often watching movies and TV shows, opens the door to my creative juices, but I also need to get out of the house and spend time with an array of people, doing an array of things. I write my best material with a pencil and paper, but there are times when simply typing away on my keyboard works well. Sometimes I write best with instrumental music, sometime I don’t.

Basically, I just go with it, I go with what works for me on any given day. If I’m having difficulty finding my writing flow, I go on a run, a hike, or I cycle. After that exercise break in God’s beautiful outdoors, I try to push through the brick wall to find my writing flow again. Sometimes I over push it and really get no where, so I’m learning to back off before that happens. I’m also learning to be gentle to myself so my muse doesn’t bury itself and refuse to come out and play.

Most importantly, I try to keep my writing career in perspective and remember I’m not curing cancer. I try to focus on what’s important: My relationships—my relationship with myself, with others, and with God. Even though I let my muse dictate what it wants, I don’t allow it to run my life or demand the unreasonable. Being published and writing under publishing deadlines changes the game, sure, but I’m much more than a published suspense author, remembering that keeps me happy and the writing flowing well.

May you find your writing way and be happy!




Dianna Torscher Benson is a 2011 Genesis Winner, a 2011 Genesis double Semi-Finalist, a 2010
Daphne de Maurier Finalist, and a 2007 Golden Palm Finalist. In 2012, she signed a nine-book contract with Ellechor Publishing House. Her first book, The Hidden Son, released March 2013.

After majoring in communications and a ten-year career as a travel agent, Dianna left the travel industry to earn her EMS degree. An EMT and a Haz-Mat and FEMA Operative since 2005, she loves the adrenaline rush of responding to medical emergencies and helping people in need. Her suspense novels about adventurous characters thrown into tremendous circumstances provide readers with a similar kind of rush.

Dianna lives in North Carolina with her husband and their three athletic children.


Come back tomorrow to enter to win a free copy of her new release!

1 comment :

  1. Thanks for hosting me this week, Yvonne and Sandra!

    Best wishes,
    Dianna

    ReplyDelete

Newsletter Subscribe

Followers

Categories

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Historical Romantic Suspense

Historical Romance

Comments

Comments

Popular Posts

Guest Registry