Thursday, May 9, 2019

I had the distinct pleasure recently of touring the Charleston Tea Plantation on Wadmalaw Island in the heart of the Lowcountry of South Carolina. Having never visited a tea plantation, or South Carolina for that matter, I was quite curious about what to expect. The beauty of the plantation was no surprise. I’d already spent several days traveling sections of the state, so I knew there’d be lush forests, sparkling rivers, and an abundance of fragrant, colorful flowers.

What I didn’t expect were the playful breezes and serene hum of wildlife and insects in every corner of the plantation. I also didn’t expect to learn so much about growing and processing tea! On this particular plantation, leaves from the plant Camellia Sinensis are harvested by the Green Giant…a converted mechanical harvester that does the work of several hundred people. I found a short video of the Green Giant that shows you how it works:

Once the leaves are harvested, the tea processing can begin. This involves varying degrees and methods of drying and oxidation in order to determine the different categories, like black, green, oolong, and white. After processing, the leaves may be blended with different flavors to create the many delicious varieties that wind up in your cup. Peppermint and cinnamon spice are my favorites. What about you? Which flavor is your favorite?

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Newsletter Subscribe

Followers

Categories

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Historical Romantic Suspense

Historical Romance

Comments

Comments

Popular Posts

Guest Registry