Sunday, July 18, 2010


Max is like a child in many ways, among them, his toys. He likes to scatter them around the house. It’s not enough to get one toy out and play, he wants them all out at once.

I couldn’t sleep one night. Trying not to wake my husband, I slid from the bed without turning on a light and tiptoed my way to the door. Unfortunately, I didn’t realize Max had left his favorite squeaky lying on the floor. I stepped on it, and the most horrendous wail I’d ever hear echoed through the room. Max started barking, thinking someone was playing with his toys, and I frantically started shushing him. Finally, I had no choice but to turn on the light.

Needless to say, there sat my husband, blinking sleepily. “What happened?”

I held up the squeaky.

“That dog has too many toys,” he grumbled, flopping back onto the bed and throwing the blanket over his head.

I stifled a chuckle as I doused the light and backed out of the room, squeaky in hand. He was right, Max did have too many, but I didn’t have the heart to throw any of them away.

Which got me thinking.

Most of us can easily be accused of having more than we need. The real question is not what do we have, but what have we done to get it? Have we made God second to our pursuit of material wealth? Have we sacrificed our time with God for time at the office? When all is said and done, can we be accused of having too many toys?

I looked closely, I’m afraid the answer for me would be yes. I am learning, however, to throw those things away.

Mark 10:17-23 (New King James Version)

Jesus Counsels the Rich Young Ruler


17 Now as He was going out on the road, one came running, knelt before Him, and asked Him, “Good Teacher, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?”
18 So Jesus said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God. 19 You know the commandments: ‘Do not commit adultery,’ ‘Do not murder,’ ‘Do not steal,’ ‘Do not bear false witness,’ ‘Do not defraud,’ ‘Honor your father and your mother.’” 20 And he answered and said to Him, “Teacher, all these things I have kept from my youth.” 21 Then Jesus, looking at him, loved him, and said to him, “One thing you lack: Go your way, sell whatever you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, take up the cross, and follow Me.”22 But he was sad at this word, and went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions.

With God All Things Are Possible


23 Then Jesus looked around and said to His disciples, “How hard it is for those who have riches to enter the kingdom of God!”

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Newsletter Subscribe

Followers

Categories

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Historical Romantic Suspense

Historical Romance

Comments

Comments

Popular Posts

Guest Registry