Tuesday, August 31, 2010

It happens. People look at me with wide-eyed wonder when I tell them I'm a published author. Sometimes I think it's really cool too. But weeks like this make me wonder if there is something else I could do that pays more money for the amount of work (and stress!) this career path can generate.

This week, for example, I received galleys that needed proofed for my second historical. Then two background outlines were requested, one for my third cozy, which was written so long ago that I couldn't even remember the storyline! The other outline was for my second historical. To top it off, I had a request for a full manuscript that meant I needed to pump out 25,000 extra words. . .

In.

Six.

Days.

Now, besides eating and sleeping, I like to live a little. You know, nothing fancy, but going to church is a must, which meant one of those six days was. . .shall we say, rather unproductive. I think I logged a little over 700 words. Reality check:

24,300 words.

In.

Five.

Days.

Now remember. This request for a full manuscript does not guarantee a contract. No. Not at all. As a matter of fact, five days of commiting my life to my laptop will more than likely mean rejection.

Are.

We.

Having.

Fun.

Yet?

My brain is mush. I have 3,000 more words to go. I need inspiration. Encouragement. A shoulder to cry on. So, a copy of my latest romance to the person who can make me smile the biggest. Because I love you. And because my lips don't remember what an upward curve feels like. (See? I'm in really bad shape!)

7 comments :

  1. When my little boy is upset, I ask him if he needs a "big hug" and he will feel better afterwards. So I'm sending "big hugs" your way. :)
    And just think, when someone starts telling you about how busy they are, you can tell them your story and put them to shame!
    I have a picture of my momma that always makes me smile. It is the goofyist(don't think that's an actual word) picture ever. I used to have it taped to my mirror to start my day out with a laugh. Any time I'm feeling down or stressed I can look at that picture and it never fails to make me laugh. I thought about downloading it, so I could make you laugh, but then it would always be on the web. My momma knows I love this picture, but that might hurt her feelings to plaster it over the web. :)
    So I decided on this pic. It doesn't even compare, but I always thought it was funny. I hope you can see it, cause I couldn't find a bigger one.

    http://www.animalpictureshq.com/img3843.htm

    I'll be praying for you!
    Psalm 90:17– May the favor of the Lord our God rest upon us; establish the work of our hands for us – yes, establish the work of our hands

    ReplyDelete
  2. How 'bout I tell you a joke?

    Sent to me by friend:

    One Sunday a pastor told his congregation that the church needed some extra money and asked the people to prayerfully consider giving a little extra in the offering plate. He said that whoever gave the most would be able to pick out three hymns.

    After the offering plates were passed, the pastor glanced down and noticed that someone had placed a $1,000 bill in offering. He was so excited that he immediately shared his joy with his congregation and said he'd like to personally thank the person who placed the money in the plate.

    And there sat our Rosie all the way in the back shyly raised her hand. The pastor asked her to come to the front. Slowly she made her way to the pastor. He told her how wonderful it was that she gave so much and in thanksgiving asked her to pick out three hymns.

    Her eyes brightened as she looked over the congregation, pointed to the three most handsome men in the building and said, "I'll take him and him and him!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, those monkeys are so cute. And, yes, they brought a huge smile to my face. Thank you for reminding my lips about that upward curve thing. And you've GOT to send me that pic of your mother. Got to. Got to, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa, that was just too funny. ROTFLOL. And I never knew you harbored a secret desire for one of my books. Whazzup with that? Insomnia again?

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you go here(my blog):http://neveradullmoment-angie.blogspot.com/2008/10/wordless-wednesday_08.html

    You will see a picture of my shepherd...I was outside and she was had to figure out a way to keep an eye on me so she stuck her head out the kitty door. Hope it makes you smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, that definitely made me smile. And it does look like she's stuck. LOL! My "guardian angel" sits on my shoulder as I write. Good thing he only weighs 6 pds!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Silly rabbit. Didn't you know? I'm your biggest fan...

    Are you scared yet? Thinking Kathy Bates in Misery? LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Newsletter Subscribe

Followers

Categories

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Historical Romantic Suspense

Historical Romance

Comments

Comments

Popular Posts

Guest Registry