Sunday, October 10, 2010

Max doesn’t like having his toenails trimmed. For a dachshund, that’s a big deal since their feet are made specifically for digging. His toenails stick out, becoming little stilts that make it impossible for him to walk on tiled floors when they get too long. And I can always tell when they need to be cut because he starts making a clicking sound when he walks across the kitchen.

Anyway, the moment I go for the clippers, Max runs for the coffee table. He peeks out from under it, looking for all the world as though he thinks I can’t see him there. I used to try and catch him and drag him out, but he got to be too quick for me. Finally, exasperated by the attempt, I sat down on the couch and in my best mamma voice said, “Max, come here!”

He stopped dead.

“Come!” I ordered again, a little more firmly. I’ve gotta admit, I was surprised he listened the first time.

We made eye contact. I didn’t waver.

Finally, he skulked from the coffee table, made a wide arc around me, ran to my husband who told him to go see me, and then ended up cowering on the couch beside me.

“Lay down,” I said.

Trembling, Max did as commanded.

“Good grief, you’d think I was going to hurt him,” I told my husband.

“At least he’s doing it,” he said.

I rubbed Max’s cold little nose, thinking. “Yeah, he is.”

Cutting Max’s nails took no time at all once he finally surrendered to me and lay down on the couch. But I couldn’t help wondering how many times God has asked us to do something, and we run from Him, trembling—hiding as though we fear He may harm us. Thankfully, God is very patient with us. He understands our doubts, and asks only that we come to know Him better, so that our trust for Him may deepen.

Overall, I think I’m finally beginning to learn that.


Jeremiah 29:11-14 (New International Version)

11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. 14 I will be found by you," declares the LORD, "and will bring you back from captivity. [a] I will gather you from all the nations and places where I have banished you," declares the LORD, "and will bring you back to the place from which I carried you into exile."

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Newsletter Subscribe

Followers

Categories

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Historical Romantic Suspense

Historical Romance

Comments

Comments

Popular Posts

Guest Registry