Tuesday, December 31, 2013

“How do you manage to do both?”

I hear this question all the time! 

You see, I am an author.  I am also a marketing professional.  I have two careers – both of which I enjoy very much, but both of which take a great deal of time and attention!

So back to the question:  “How do you manage to do both?”

I know that I am not the only author who works outside of writing, and I have developed a short list of “rules” I follow so I don’t get overwhelmed. 

1.  Keep everything separate.  I try to never write where I work, and I try not to work where I write!  Additionally, I keep all paperwork separate. I even listen to different types of music for each task to help me get in the zone!
2.  Set a schedule.  I work the same hours every day, and I have set writing hours.  I keep to this as much as I can. 
3.  Be flexible.  If I can’t stick to my schedule, or if something comes up when I have to move my schedule around, I don’t beat myself up about it.  I just do my best to get back on track.   
4. Plan ahead.  If I know I am going to have a big writing deadline at the end of the month, I try to make sure my marketing responsibilities are as buttoned up as possible so I can spend my mental energy on writing.  And if I know I have a big marketing event or project coming up, I try to clear my writing calendar to make sure I can focus on those tasks. 
5.  Most importantly, decide what is non-negotiable.   What are the things you are not willing to give up?  For example, for me, I hold my family time sacred.

Working a job while writing a novel can be difficult, but it can be done!  And here is the good news:  It gets easier with practice!  Set goals.  Make mini-deadlines.  Become a stickler with managing your calendar. These are the methods I employed while writing my Regency romance series, Whispers on the Moors.  The second book in the series, The Headmistress of Rosemere, releases at the end of December 2013, and I could not be more excited!


Sarah E. Ladd received the 2011 Genesis Award in historical romance for The Heiress of Winterwood. She is a graduate of Ball State University and has more than ten years of marketing experience. Sarah lives in Indiana with her amazing husband, sweet daughter, and spunky Golden Retriever. 

Connect with her online!  Visit her website, like her on Facebook, or follow her on Twitter



0 comments :

Post a Comment

Newsletter Subscribe

Followers

Categories

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Historical Romantic Suspense

Historical Romance

Comments

Comments

Popular Posts

Guest Registry