Thursday, September 25, 2014

Today we're speaking with Robin Caroll, author of 22 published novels. Her books have been named finalists in contests such as the Carol Awards, HOLT Medallion, Daphne du Maurier, RT Reviewer’s Choice Award, Bookseller’s Best and Book of the Year. She gives back to the writing community by serving as conference director for American Christian Fiction Writers.

Thank you, Robin, for taking the time to visit with us today. You've been at this quite a while now. Have you ever had a funny experience connected with being an author? For instance, has someone ever overheard you discussing the merits of one murder weapon over another or caught you shooting at a can of gasoline to see if you could make it explode? 

One time, I had arrived at the hotel before a writer’s conference three days early. Another writer and I were riding up in the elevator with a couple of other people. We’d been brainstorming over lunch, and my mind was still on that discussion when all of a sudden, I realized a perfect plot point. I turned to my friend and said, “I know how they got rid of the body.” She and I began a discussion on how my antagonist and partner hid their victim’s body and it was never recovered. Only after going up ten floors did I realize that the older couple in the elevator car with us had backed themselves almost entirely into a corner and stared at us with extremely wide eyes. I had to quickly explain that we were discussing a fictional plot and luckily, I had one of my author business cards in my pocket that I was able to share with them as proof.
That's classic! I love it! What do your kids think about your being a writer?

My family has as warped a sense of humor as I do. When a new man joined my husband’s men’s group at church, he asked my husband “does your wife work outside the home?” My husband answered, “my wife kills people for a living.”

Luckily, one of our mutual friends was kind enough to explain to the new man that I wrote mystery/suspense. My kids are just as bad. They tell people that their mom kills people and hides the bodies. New school years are always fun until I meet the teachers. From what they’re told when my kids fill out those multiple forms of what your parents do, those teachers probably think I’m a hitman. It’s always fun to see the relief on their faces when I explain, but it’s fun because my husband and kids enjoy messing with people like that.


What’s your favorite method for keeping a story’s middle from sagging?

Honestly? If I get to the middle and I feel like it’s starting to drag a little, I’ll start throwing up ideas for worse case scenarios. One time, it worked so well that I ended up killing the antagonist so I had to go back and weave in clues to make it someone else. That was actually fun, even if it was a bit scary. But killing off a character is always good to avoid a slow middle. 

Thanks, Robin, for sharing some of your stories with us!

Born and raised in Louisiana, Caroll is a southerner through and through. Her passion has always been to tell stories to entertain others. An avid reader herself, she loves hearing from and chatting with other readers.

When she isn’t writing, Caroll spends time with her husband of 25 years, her three beautiful daughters and two handsome grandsons and their character-filled pets at home in Little Rock, Arkansas.

For more information about Robin Caroll and her books, visit her online home at www.robincaroll.com. She is also active on Facebook and Twitter.

Don't forget to stop by tomorrow, when you can enter to win a free copy of Robin's latest title, Hidden in the Stars.

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Newsletter Subscribe

Followers

Categories

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Historical Romantic Suspense

Historical Romance

Comments

Comments

Popular Posts

Guest Registry