Thursday, March 17, 2011


I'm thrilled to have my good friend Janelle Mowery with us today at The Borrowed Book. Here's what Janelle has to say about herself:

Janelle Mowery lives in Texas with her husband and two sons, though a portion of her heart still resides in her birth state of Minnesota. Janelle began writing inspirational stories in 2001 and has since written several historical novels as well as a mystery series. Her first published novel, Where the Truth Lies, released in 2008. This was followed in 2010 by The Christmas Chain, part of a Christmas anthology titled, A Woodland Christmas. Her second novel, Love Finds You in Silver City, Idaho, released October 2010 and received four stars from the Romantic Times review. Janelle's Colorado trilogy will release in 2011. The first of this series, When All My Dreams Come True, also received four stars from the Romantic Times review. When she isn’t writing, her interests include reading, enjoying nature, and visiting historical sites. To learn more, visit her Web site at www.janellemowery.com.

Welcome, Janelle. We at The Borrowed Book have watched your writing career blossom in the last few years, and we're all delighted with your success. When did you first know that you wanted to be a writer?

I carried my first story around in my head for a year before I sat down and started writing it out. Before that one was finished, the second story came to me. Before I finished writing the second, the third one formed. I think that’s when I realized that writing is what I really wanted to do.

It sounds like God was already giving you the stories He wanted you to write even before you sat down to put the words on paper. After you began writing, how long did it take to make that first sale?

I started writing that first story on January 1, 2001. I signed my first contract in 2006. The publishing world is not a speedy process.

I know you have several books out right now, but what is the title of your current release?

The title of my most recent release is When All My Dreams Come True.


Give our readers a blurb about it.

Bobbie McIntyre dreams of running a ranch of her own. Raised without a mother and having spent most of her time around men, she knows more about wrangling than acting like a lady. The friendship of her new employer awakens a desire to learn more about presenting her feminine side, but ranch life keeps getting in the way. Ranch owner Jace Kincaid figures the Lord is testing his faith when a female wrangler shows up looking for work. Bobbie has an uncanny way of getting under his skin, though, and he’s surprised when she finds a home next to his heart. But when his cattle begin to go missing and his wranglers are in danger from some low-down cattle thief, can Jace trust God, even if it may mean giving up on his dreams?

What inspirational message do you want readers to take away after reading When All My Dreams Come True?

I’d like the readers to know that even when times are tough, it’s best to trust the Lord…ESPECIALLY when times are tough…that we shouldn’t grow weary and lose heart but to keep our eyes fixed on Him. Some of my favorite verses are Hebrews 12:1-3.

Which character in the book is your favorite? Why?

I’d have to say that Bobbie is my favorite character. A friend put it this way and I have to agree…She's flawed, real and multi-dimensional. She's spunky and willing to speak her mind, yet respectful at the same time. She was hurting and proud, yet willing to accept help. All and all a very sympathetic heroine.

Where one has lived often affects the settings a writer uses in his/her stories. Have you found this to be true in your writing?

Very much so. There’s a place not a mile down the road from where I live. A creek cuts through the land and one has to cross a pipe to get to the other side. It’s one of the most peaceful places I know. It was this very place that I thought of as I wrote When All My Dreams Come True. I just had to picture it surround by the Rocky Mountains of Colorado.

Having been friends with you for a long time, I know you are dedicated to your family, friends, and your church. How do you juggle all your responsibilities and still find time to write wonderful novels?

Not well. LOL. I’m far from being an organized person. In fact, the word ‘organization’ is a very bad word and rarely a part of my vocabulary. LOL. So when all that you mentioned above are on a collision course, I tend to get a bit stressed. My husband tells me I work well under pressure. That may be so, but that pressure sure makes me droop once all is back to normal again.

I also know you to be a fun-loving individual who likes to laugh and live life to the fullest. What would you say is the quirkiest thing you have ever done?

Quirky? Me? Do something quirky? May it never be! Well…okay, maybe sometimes. But let me say this…one woman’s quirk is another’s normal. (smile) Let’s see, I’ve jumped out of a perfectly good airplane just to see what skydiving was like. I killed a large snake in my garage…with a butcher knife. Hey, it was a desperate times=desperate measures kind of thing. Hmm…other than that, I’m pretty normal, unless you consider getting my picture taken by a game cam while piggy back riding on my husband’s back in the dark as quirky. He was being very chivalrous…trying to keep my feet dry. Um…long story.

It seems like I remember that story about the snake. (smile) But let's talk about happier things. What are you working on now? Can we expect other books to release soon?

Right now, I’m working on a Christmas anthology as well as the first book of another historical series. As for other releases, books two and three of my mystery series, titled Died in the Wool and Inn Plain Sight, written with Elizabeth Ludwig will release May 1 and November 1 this year. Also, books two and three of my Colorado historical series, titled When Love Gets in the Way and When Two Hearts Meet, will release in October this year. And my second Christmas anthology, Christmas at Barncastle Inn, will release September 1 this year.

For the aspiring writers who may be reading this, what advice would you give them?

This is NOT an easy road you’ve chosen, but don’t give up. It takes hard work and plenty of patience, but I’ve found that when I let God do the driving instead of me trying to take over, the road was so much easier to navigate. Follow God’s timing. Enjoy the journey. And take time to look back at the steps the Lord has led you through to get to where you are. I can see God’s hand all over my journey from the time I picked up my first Lori Wick book, to my first writer’s conference, as well as those He’s placed in my path to help me along the way. I can only praise Him and give Him the glory.

Great advice, Janelle. Writing is definitely not an easy road to choose. Is there anything else you’d like to tell us that I haven’t asked?

If you’re serious about becoming published, try to get to a writer’s conference. The things you’ll learn and the contacts you’ll make are beyond priceless. And get involved with a critique group. As the Bible says, iron sharpens iron, and your writing will be sharpened with the help of other authors.

Thank you so much for being a guest today. If you haven't read Janelle's book When All My Dreams Come True, you're missing a great read. She's left us with a wonderful thought today about what the Bible has to say about iron sharpening iron. For you writers, what Bible verse inspires you to keep writing? We'd like to know.

5 comments :

  1. I sure agree with Janelle about writers conferences. Last year, ACFW was great. Lots of good information, lots of networking and friend making, and an encouraging, uplifting atmosphere.Great intrview, fellow Texan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's my favorite writing verse:

    Habakkuk 2:2-3 (NIV)

    2 Then the LORD replied: “Write down the revelation and make it plain on tablets so that a herald[a] may run with it.

    3 For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay.

    I sign all my books with this scripture. I needed this reminder! Thanks, Sandra and Janelle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Dana! Good to see you pop in here. Will I see you in St. Louis this year?

    Hi Sharon! Glad you enjoyed the conference. Hope I get to meet you this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elizabeth, was just talking last night of using Hab 2:3 has the verse I would use when I sign books. Hoping that day is soon...This was the first verse God showed me when I was going through my divorce....I must have patience....Wanting to get my book published "Finding Hope Among the Tears" about God giving me hope and a ministry to help others....
    Janelle...looking forward to finding your book...When all my dreams come true....Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete

Newsletter Subscribe

Followers

Categories

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Historical Romantic Suspense

Historical Romance

Comments

Comments

Popular Posts

Guest Registry