Sunday, April 3, 2011

Max has a very keen mind. He’s proven it in the little tricks he does when we’re not looking. In fact, just about the time I think I’ve put one past him, he surprises me all over again.

Take this weekend, for example. Max has a little rubber bone that has gotten ragged with time. The squeaky is torn out of it, one end is chewed off, and more than once, I’ve found the insides strewn across my dining room carpet. Thinking I’d replace it, I went by the pet store, picked up a new bone, and threw the old one in the trash.

Problem was…Max liked the old bone. He played with the new one for all of five minutes, then set off in search of the old bone.

“Max! Come play with your toy.”

I squeezed the new bone then sent it sailing across the living room. Max looked at it but kept sniffing, searching for his old bone.

“Max!”

I picked up the new toy and waved it in front of his face. Max ignored me and kept looking. Finally, he sat down in front of the trashcan and looked back at me expectantly.

Disgusted, I threw the new toy down and went into the kitchen to fix supper. In fact, I totally forgot about Max until my husband walked in the door from work.

“What is Max doing?” he said, shrugging out of his coat.

I looked over my shoulder at him. “What?”

My husband pointed. “Why is he sitting there? Did you throw away his toy or something?”

Realizing Max had been rooted to the same spot for almost twenty minutes, I laughed and dug his toy out of the trash.

“Can you believe that?” I said, watching as Max took the toy and trotted happily into the living room.

My husband shook his head. “Well, at least he knew where to look.”

Exactly. He knew where to look.

God said that if we want to know Him better, if we desire a knowledge of who He is, that we are to search His word—to study, in fact, and not just on Sunday. We’re to be diligent, as Max was, in waiting upon the Lord and learning from Him. Only then can we be called workmen who need not be ashamed.

2 Timothy 2:15-16 (King James Version)

15Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

16But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.

1 comment :

  1. I hope I can learn to be as diligent as Max was, maybe not about bones, but about studying God's word. Thanks, Elizabeth, for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete

Newsletter Subscribe

Followers

Categories

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Historical Romantic Suspense

Historical Romance

Comments

Comments

Popular Posts

Guest Registry