Sunday, April 24, 2011

With two dachshunds in the house, there is very little chance that a stranger will come upon my door without warning. In fact, these two little dogs send up such a cacophony of barking, it’s almost impossible to hear myself think. The problem is, they aren’t always barking at strangers. Squirrels, in their opinion, warrant the same kind of zealous warning as the UPS man.

I was in the living room watching television one day, when Max let out a warning yip. Taking up the alarm, Lainey let go a full-fledged bark. Before I knew it, they had both begun running and barking up a storm, neither one stopping even after I yelled repeatedly for them to quit. Finally, I got up to see what they were barking at.

It was late, and I didn’t see any headlights, so I figured they were simply feeding off of each other and I went back into the living room and sat down. Max kept barking, and because Max was, so did Lainey.

“Quit it, guys!” I yelled.

They kept barking.

“Max, knock it off,” I insisted.

Max looked at me, then at Lainey, and they both took off, barking. Just as I was about to reach for the newspaper to give them a swat, I heard a knock at the front door. Surprised, I went to look.

Our new neighbors were moving in, and one of them stood on our porch. After we introduced ourselves, the man pointed to the dogs and said, “Well, I guess you never have to worry about someone showing up without warning.”

I thought about his words after he left. Max and Lainey were faithful to sound the alarm, even after I made it clear that I wanted them to stop. While that may not be a good trait for dogs, it is every bit the way we should behave as Christians. In fact, God has charged us with the task of warning others of His coming. I hope that when He does return, He finds me as faithful as two bright, determined young dachshunds.

Ezekiel 33:1-11 (King James Version)

1Again the word of the LORD came unto me, saying, 2Son of man, speak to the children of thy people, and say unto them, When I bring the sword upon a land, if the people of the land take a man of their coasts, and set him for their watchman: 3If when he seeth the sword come upon the land, he blow the trumpet, and warn the people; 4Then whosoever heareth the sound of the trumpet, and taketh not warning; if the sword come, and take him away, his blood shall be upon his own head. 5He heard the sound of the trumpet, and took not warning; his blood shall be upon him. But he that taketh warning shall deliver his soul.

6But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the trumpet, and the people be not warned; if the sword come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand. 7So thou, O son of man, I have set thee a watchman unto the house of Israel; therefore thou shalt hear the word at my mouth, and warn them from me. 8When I say unto the wicked, O wicked man, thou shalt surely die; if thou dost not speak to warn the wicked from his way, that wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at thine hand.

9Nevertheless, if thou warn the wicked of his way to turn from it; if he do not turn from his way, he shall die in his iniquity; but thou hast delivered thy soul.

10Therefore, O thou son of man, speak unto the house of Israel; Thus ye speak, saying, If our transgressions and our sins be upon us, and we pine away in them, how should we then live? 11Say unto them, As I live, saith the Lord GOD, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die, O house of Israel?

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Newsletter Subscribe

Followers

Categories

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Historical Romantic Suspense

Historical Romance

Comments

Comments

Popular Posts

Guest Registry