Tuesday, August 11, 2015

By Kimberly Rose Johnson

Mountain Brook Ink, 2015
I’ve been a stay at home mom for almost twenty years now. I worked from home as a piano teacher for eighteen of those years and decided it would be best to stop teaching a couple of years ago. That was a great decision at the time because I was super busy with my new writing career. There weren’t enough hours in a day for all the work I had to do and I loved having extra time. But then everything changed. My oldest went off to college out of state, I caught up on my deadlines and my youngest began his senior year of high school. Suddenly I was alone for most of my day, I had very little work pressing, and I felt completely worthless. I lacked purpose and direction. 

Not long after school started last school year I experience my first serious bout with depression. I have never been that low, and pray I never get there again. Thankfully, it only lasted a few days, but it was a time I will remember forever. I still struggle with feeling down from time to time, but thankfully not the kind of depression I experienced last fall. 

My degree in Behavioral Science, did not prepare me for the dark place depression takes a person. What did help was my relationship with the Lord. Honestly, I don’t want to talk about those days last year. I don’t care to relive them in my mind, but I thought it was important to understand, I know what a deep dark depression feels like. Thankfully that was an isolated incident.

Recently I had a not so serious incident, and I would like to tell you what I did to get through it. I learned from my one experience last fall that I can’t allow myself to get stuck in my head. The moment I feel myself getting depressed I must take action. For me it’s a matter of getting my thought life under control and thinking positive. How do I do that? I ask the Lord for help. 

I prayed for JOY. As soon as I said amen, a song from my childhood about joy came into my mind. God knows that I am greatly affected by music and he gave me the one thing that would instantly snap me out of where I was. I sang that song in my mind until I fell asleep. The following morning my husband and I went to church and guess what? The first song we sang in worship was about joy. ☺ I was overwhelmed with His love for me. He knew my need and my prayer even before I did.
I am still smiling over His love and care. I certainly don’t have the answers for everyone who suffers from serious depression or feeling down, but for me praying and focusing my thoughts on the Lord pull me out. 

There are hotlines to call if you need help and I’m not saying don’t use those, I’m only saying for me in my instances this is what worked for me. So please if you need help, don’t hesitate to reach out to professionals.

Kimberly Rose Johnson
Kimberly Rose Johnson holds a degree in Behavioral Science from Northwest University. She lives in the Pacific Northwest with her husband, two teenage sons, and their yellow lab. She writes sweet Christian romance and is a member of American Christian Fiction Writers. She enjoys taking long walks with her husband and dog, reading, dark chocolate and time with friends.

Kimberly’s latest release is Island Dreams. Piper Hunt arrives on Wildflower Island to develop family property into an upscale resort knowing this may be her last chance to prove her worth to her father. With grandiose ideas, she soon finds herself at odds with adjoining property owner, Chase Grayson. As she begins to appreciate the simplicity of the island, she struggles to maintain balance between her father's wishes, preserving the natural beauty of the island, and her attraction for Chase. 

Chase Grayson values the peace and quiet of Wildflower Island. That serenity is threatened when Piper Hunt discloses her plans to develop an upscale resort that not only butts up to his property, but will turn the island into a busy tourist destination. In fighting her plans, he also finds himself fighting his attraction to her. If he doesn't stop her plans for the resort, his life will be altered forever. If he succeeds, it means he will never see her again. Can he live with either choice? 

Buy link for Island Dreams:
Amazon: www.amazon.com/Island-Dreams-Wildflower-Romance-Book-ebook/dp/B00XYYRP66

Find Kimberly here:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyRoseJohnson
Twitter: https://twitter.com/kimberlyrosejoh
Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/krose1990
Kimberly’s website: http://kimberlyrjohnson.com

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Newsletter Subscribe

Followers

Categories

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Historical Romantic Suspense

Historical Romance

Comments

Comments

Popular Posts

Guest Registry