Tuesday, February 5, 2013



This series lived in my mind and heart for several years before my agent sold them. The books took me on an interesting, almost-three-year journey into the far northwest section of the United States. Washington Territory, Oregon, and northern California in 1885, with a side trip to Little Rock, Arkansas.

I’ve always loved history and took history courses for all my electives when in college. Over the last few years, I’ve been fascinated with 19th century US history. 



When I started writing the first book, I couldn’t picture Seattle in 1885. I searched for books and web sites, anything that would help me get a feel for the city. I contacted the Seattle Public Library and found that the personnel had digitized both books published in the late 1800s and historical photographs of the time period. They sent me the link to the photographs, which were separated by decade.

I used many of these photographs to re-create a comprehensive picture of the city, the businesses, the churches, hospital, university, and homes. I got business names, street names, and the layout of the whole city. That’s what I used as I wrote the book.

As I moved through all three books, I found books of historical photos of each place featured in the books. So as you read them, then only things that are fictional are my characters, their stories, businesses, etc. Everything else fits the place, the society, and the historical aspects of the period.

Then with Catherine’s Pursuit, the last book in the series, we revisit the other places, as well as learn about San Francisco, California. And Catherine’s Pursuit released today. 

And there’s good news for you. Starting today, February 5, and continuing through February 12, the first book of the series, Maggie’s Journey, is free for download for Kindle, Nook, Kobo, and Sony ereaders. 

At Christianbooks.com:

On Kindle:

For Nook:

Award-winning author, Lena Nelson Dooley, has more than 700,000 books in print. 
Helping other authors become published really floats her boat, with over 20 signing their first book contract after her mentoring. Three of her books have been awarded the Carol Award silver pins, and she has received the ACFW Mentor of the Year award. The high point of her day is receiving feedback from her readers, especially people whose lives have been changed by her books. 

Her 2010 release Love Finds You in Golden, New Mexico, won the 2011 Will Rogers Medallion Award for excellence in publishing Western Fiction. Maggie’s Journey appeared on a reviewers Top Ten Books of 2011 list. It also won the 2012 Selah award for Historical Novel. Mary’s Blessing released in May 2012. It recently appeared on a review site’s Top Five Reads in 2012 list. Catherine’s Pursuit is coming in February 2013.

In addition to her writing, Lena is a frequent speaker at women’s groups, writers groups, and at both regional and national conferences. She has spoken in six states and internationally. She is also one of the co-hosts of the Gate Beautiful blog radio show.

Lena has an active web presence on Shoutlife, Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads, Linkedin and with her internationally connected blog where she interviews other authors and promotes their books. 

Find her online here:
Blog: Http://lenanelsondooley.blogspot.com
Other blogs where she’s a regular contributor:


1 comment :

  1. Looks exciting! Thanks for sharing, Lena. Can't wait to get my own copy of Maggie's Journey!

    ReplyDelete

Newsletter Subscribe

Followers

Categories

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Historical Romantic Suspense

Historical Romance

Comments

Comments

Popular Posts

Guest Registry