Wednesday, February 6, 2013



On Tuesday I woke with a funny feeling stomach. This did not make me happy. I had my day planned and lots of things to do, and I didn’t have time to be sick. Therefore I decided my best course of action was denial. I drank a cup of coffee and ate a protein bar.

That was a mistake. The coffee and protein sat like lead in my stomach. Unfortunately what goes in must come out. I’ll spare you the details.

I located some Canada Dry Ginger Ale made with real ginger, and it seemed to help. My grandmom always said ginger ale was good for an icky stomach. I wondered. . .was she right? Or was I subject to the placebo effect? I decided to research. 

The ginger used medicinally and in products like ginger ale is from the ugly, knotty finger-like roots of the plant Zingiber officinale that grows to about three feet tall. The plant has dark green leaves and small yellow flowers.

The spicy ginger smell and useful results come from essential oils and phenolic compounds contained in the root, like gingerol, zingerone, shogaol, farnesene, and small amounts of β-phelladrene, cineol, and citral. (Repeat those ten times fast.)
 
Ginger has been used for many years to treat a myriad of health problems. Science has confirmed its effectiveness in traditional remedies for gastrointestinal problems like gas and stomach cramps. Zingerone is effective against E.coli induced diarrhea, especially in children. 

In addition, ginger boosts circulation, lowering high blood pressure. It’s an anti-viral and a powerful anti-inflammatory. It helps ease motion sickness. Recently there’s been interest in the use of ginger for joint problems.  It can also be used to alleviate chemotherapy side effects.

And you know what that means? My grandmom was right. Ginger ale made with real ginger root helps. So. . .I think I'll close this now and go get another glass full.


4 comments :

  1. Hope you're feeling better soon. Yuck! My mom always told me to drink ginger ale or Sprite--not sure the reasoning for the latter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So interesting! And definitely something I can use in a historical. Thanks for the info, Candice.

    Now, I wonder if DIET Ginger Ale has the same effects??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandra, my husband has trouble with heart burn. Lately, he's been drinking Sierra Mist (like Sprite) and he swears his heart burn is better. Maybe it's the lack of color or caffeine that made your mom think it helped? I know my mom always gave us Sprite when we weren't feeling good, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My grandma and mom usually give me Sprite or Ginger Ale when I'm not feeling well, too. :) Yay for grandmas and moms!

    Thank you for the interesting post!

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete

Newsletter Subscribe

Followers

Categories

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Historical Romantic Suspense

Historical Romance

Comments

Comments

Popular Posts

Guest Registry