Tuesday, March 19, 2013


Have you ever began a literary journey writing one thing, single-focused in style and voice, only to perform a one-eighty and suddenly you’re heading in the opposite direction? And what if you hadn’t determined to play things out as they did? Do you create a pseudonym, scrap any notion of change, or embark on what seemed natural all along?

I began my writing path with articles and short stories yet harbored the desire to become a novelist one day. Odd thing, the first four manuscripts I’d completed weren’t anything like the first two novels I had the opportunity and delight to actually see published. My debut, and the title that trailed, fell into the political intrigue/suspense thriller line. I can’t say that this type of genre/sub-genre isn’t also in my blood. Why it took the “debut” seat, I have no idea but God does. Maybe I’ll ask him one day.

It was during the midst of marketing the first politically edged title that I began feeling the nudge to return to another set of deep roots; that of fantasy. 

As a young girl, I adored fantasy novels. The genre suited me, for my mind often lingered in the clouds, daydreaming about magical realms, unusual creatures, curious communication with plants and animals, and romance. In those early days, however, unless you enjoyed romantic fantasy seductive or worldly, anything sweet and symbolic proved difficult to unearth as a reader.

Not that long ago, I asked myself a transformational question. If I was so influenced by fantasy back then, why couldn’t I begin this journey as a writer now? Why couldn’t I have one foot in one genre, and another foot in the other? If I am as God made me, and he did the wiring, then surely I can put to paper or computer screen the images and descriptions I see, feel, and need to express at the time they’re given to me. 

Some in the trade had tried to discourage me from venturing into fantasy. Well, in political intrigue, too, for that matter. Both have narrow markets. Although, I believe the markets are ever broadening. Then it was suggested I utilize a pseudonym. But having worked for a stint as a ghostwriter, I no longer wanted to pen for someone else or conceal and/or alter my identity—even for branding or platform sake. I am who I am who God made me and this is what I do. That’s my new motto.

Maybe I have split personalities. Who knows? For now, it works, because I love what I do! I enjoy it. It feels oh-so-right for me. Life is too short not to travel down the path(s) that brings you joy as you take each step. Perhaps the trail looks a little unused or rugged, but that doesn’t have to be a deterrent. A rough road doesn’t mean no. Besides, that kind of traveling can bring about better fitness.

I love authoring political intrigue and did it. I also love fantasy romance. So I pulled a one-eighty. Strange thing, I received a contract right away and have been celebrating the release of my first fantasy romance novella, Wind’s Aria, and the commencement of a series. Inspired by Song of Songs 2, Wind’s Aria is sweet, symbolic, and sacred—just the way I think it should be. Laced with the bloom of first love, you’ll also meet one they call Lily of the Valley.

A neat thing I’ve discovered along the way, whatever directions I’m steered in, even if they seem like opposites, the Lord has guided me to the moral of forgiveness as a central theme. That’s what ties it all together. All things work together for good, after all.

Done any one-eighties lately?

BIO: Tessa is a veteran of the performing arts and worldwide missions, having come from a long line of musical arts professionals. She loved seeing the world and absorbing the beauty of other cultures . . . an enriching life full of dance, music, faith, and interesting cuisine. Over the years, she also contributed as a writer/editor for ministry publications, ghostwriter for political content, and headed a column on the topic of forgiveness. Today, she writes romance and intrigue novels in a variety of genres.

Social Media links:

Purchase Wind's Aria






Come back Thursday when Tessa is again featured. Friday she is giving away an e-novella not yet in print!

1 comment :

  1. Thank you for the guest spot today. The Borrowed Book is such a lovely site!

    ReplyDelete

Newsletter Subscribe

Followers

Categories

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Historical Romantic Suspense

Historical Romance

Comments

Comments

Popular Posts

Guest Registry