Tuesday, May 21, 2013

This blog article is recycled from one of the first blog articles I wrote for The Borrowed Book. I hope our readers don't mind a re-run of sorts. We had family come into town that I hadn't seen in years, and my writing time got eaten up with hours of yakking.We shared so many memories, and some of them are family mysteries we will never solve because the people involved are long gone. 
 
But that reminded me of this family mystery that I was able to solve a year and a half ago--The Mystery of the Death of Mabel. 
Approximately twenty years ago, my grandmother and I were going through a box of old photos. I came upon one picture of a baby (see photo), and my Grandmother said, “That was Mabel. She was born two years before me and died when she was eight months old.”
“How did she die?” I asked.
My grandmother shrugged and said, “Something called phantom.”
I questioned her further, but she remembered nothing else. No clues to find out what this disease or illness was. I assumed the word phantom was her interpretation of something she’d heard as a child. Kids often hear words wrong.
My grandmother died a few years after that discussion. With her passing, I lost the only person who remembered little Mabel. I entered her into my family tree, then wrote down the few facts I knew on the back of the cardboard picture and tucked it into my genealogy notebook.
Forward about ten years. . .
I got a computer and internet access, and tried to research the disease. I used the spellings “phantom,” “fantum,” and “fantom,” but found nothing in the online lists of old diseases available at that time. Eventually I stopped looking, and Mabel’s memory and her picture were once again relegated to my genealogy notebook.
Forward to the present. . .
My husband and I were watching Marshall Dillon (the show that preceded Gunsmoke) on the Western Channel, as we do every evening lately—him on the couch, and me in the chair with my computer in my lap. During this broadcast, Doc Adams diagnosed a cowboy with “brain fever.”
What exactly was brain fever? I wondered. I’d heard of it before, but didn’t know the details. So, I Googled it. One thing led to another, as often happens with internet exploration, and I found one site that contained a long list of old-timey diseases and the modern disease equivalents.
Out of curiosity, I glanced down the list. That’s when I discovered what probably happened to Mabel.
Cholera Infantum. In all likelihood, as a youngster, my grandmother heard about Mabel’s death, and her child’s mind remembered only the last portion of the disease. . .fantum. Now I have a likely cause of death to put in my photo album with Mabel’s picture. 
Cholera infantum isn’t related to cholera at all, but the symptoms are similar. It was a ruthless, brutal summertime killer of babies. I’m not sure where the word infantum comes from. Maybe from the Latin word infantia, which means infancy?
I feel fortunate to have stumbled upon the answer to Mabel's death. I can imagine my grandmother's reaction if she were still alive. She'd perch on the edge of her chair, eyes, sparkling, and listen to me. 

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Newsletter Subscribe

Followers

Categories

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Historical Romantic Suspense

Historical Romance

Comments

Comments

Popular Posts

Guest Registry