Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Author Colleen Coble’s thirty-five novels and novellas have won or finaled in awards ranging from the Romance Writers of America prestigious RITA, the Holt Medallion, the ACFW Book of the Year, the Daphne du Maurier, National Readers’ Choice, the Booksellers Best, and the 2009 Best Books of Indiana-Fiction award. She writes romantic mysteries because she loves to see justice prevail and love begin with a happy ending.

When did you decide to be a writer?

When I was in 1st grade, I wrote my first story--about a horse that had twin colts. The teacher praised it and the seed of writing was planted. It took years for it to sprout though. It wasn’t until my younger brother Randy was killed in a freak lightning accident that I decided to follow my dream.

At what point did you stop juggling suggestions and critiques and trust yourself (as a writer)?

What? Does that EVER happen? I still second guess myself and depend heavily on my critique partners and my editors!

Are you a disciplined writer or do you just write when you feel like it?

I’m totally disciplined. I write every day until I hit my word count.

What kind of activities to you like to do that help you relax and step away from your deadlines for a bit?

Love traveling. And reading. But my main relaxation is playing with my darling granddaughter.

What is your favorite novel and what made it special?

The Stand by Stephen King. I’ve read that thing over 30 times. I love the face-off between good and evil and the characterization is masterful.

How do you think reading the work of others helps you as a writer?

You pick up the nuances of how to write by reading. You see how conflicts flow, the way character is developed. I read constantly.

Tell us a little about your latest release:

The Lightkeeper's Bride is Book 2 in the Mercy Falls series. Katie is a telephone operator in 1908 northern California. She overhears a woman being murdered on the line and rushes to the house to discover the woman’s abandoned baby. And a man who claims to be the child’s uncle. As they work to discover what happened, love develops.

Where did you get your inspiration for The Lightkeeper’s Bride?

While researching The Lightkeeper’s Daughter, I read about the old telephone switchboards. I wondered what would happen if the operator overheard something that put her in danger.

Which character is most like you?

Addie, the main character in The Lightkeeper’s Daughter and the secondary character in this novel has quite a bit of me in her.

Who is your favorite character and why?

I love Katie and her crusader spirit.

Did you know how The Lightkeeeper’s Bride would turn out? Were you surprised by any of the plot twists or characters?

I’m always surprised. I don’t like to plot out the novel. I lose interest if I know what’s going to happen.

What is the main thing you hope readers remember from this story?

We search for peace in our lives by chasing after things that don’t matter. If we chase after God, that is where our true peace is found.

What kinds of things have you done to market this book? Have you found anything that works particularly well?
I like interacting with my readers on Facebook and Twitter. Beyond that, my publisher is the best at marketing.

Tell us what new projects you’re working on.

I am working on a new Lonestar novel. It’s a contemporary, set in West Texas.

Do you have any parting words of advice?

Attend at least one conference a year. The networking can be life-changing and you learn so much. I highly recommend the American Christian Fiction Writers conference. Every publisher is represented there and you will learn SO much!

Colleen Coble
http://www.girlswriteout.blogspot.com/
.
Want more? Be sure to stop by The Borrowed Book on Thursday for and excerpt from The Lightkeepers Bride by Colleen Coble!

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Newsletter Subscribe

Followers

Categories

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Historical Romantic Suspense

Historical Romance

Comments

Comments

Popular Posts

Guest Registry