Thursday, November 4, 2010

The lapel watch on her blouse read half past nine when Katie Russell removed the skates from her boots and dropped them inside the door of the Mercy Falls Telephone Company. She pulled the pins from her Merry Widow’s hat, then hung it on a rack. Smoothing the sides of her pompadour, she approached the switchboard in the room down the hall.

Katie peered at the switchboard, then forced herself to put on her hated glasses. At 3:03 a light came on and Katie answered. “Number, please.” The caller, a man whose voice she didn’t recognize, sounded breathless.

“Is this the operator?”

She detected agitation in his tone. “It is. Is something wrong?”

“Pirates,” he said in a clipped voice. “Just off the lighthouse. They shot some sailors and dumped others overboard.”

She sprang to her feet. “I’ll contact the constable. Do you need further assistance?”

“I need a doctor at the lighthouse. I’ve got two injured men. The rest are—dead. I couldn’t get their bodies into the boat, but they’re washing up onshore now.” His taut voice broke. “I had to leave the men on the shore to get to a phone, but I’m heading back there now. Tell the doctor to hurry.”

“Right away,” she promised. She disconnected the call, then rang the doctor first. Saving life was paramount. The constable would be too late to do much about the pirates. With both calls dispatched, she forced herself to sit back down, though her muscles twitched with the need for activity. She reminded herself she’d done all she could.

The switchboard lit again. “Operator,” she said, eyeing the light. The call originated from the bank.

“R-10, please.”

She plugged in the other end of the cord to ring the Cook residence. Instead, she heard Eliza Bulmer pick up the phone on the other end. “I’m sorry, Eliza, we seem to have a switched link somewhere. Would you hang on until I can get through to the Cooks?” Katie asked.

“Of course, honey,” Eliza said. “I just picked up my wedding dress, and I’m trying it on. So if I don’t say much, you’ll know why.”

“You’re getting married? I hadn’t heard. Congratulations.”

“Thank you.” Eliza’s voice held a lilt.

“Just leave the earpiece dangling, if you please.”

“I can do that.”

There was a thunk in Katie’s ear, and she knew Eliza had dropped the earpiece. Katie waited to see if the ring would be answered at the Cook residence but there was only a long pause. “There’s no answer, Eliza. You can hang up,” she said.

The other woman did not reply. If the phone were left off the hook, it would go dead. Katie started to raise her voice, but she heard a man’s voice.

“You said you had something to tell me. What is it? I need to get home.”

The voice was familiar, but Katie couldn’t quite place it. It was too muffled.

“Honey, thank you for coming so quickly,” Eliza said.

Though Eliza’s voice was faint, Katie thought she detected a tremble in it. This is none of my business, she thought. I should hang up. But she held her breath and listened anyway.

“Would you like tea?” Eliza asked.

“No, Eliza, I don’t want tea. What are you doing in that getup? I want to know what was so all-fired important that you called me at work—something I’ve expressly forbidden you to do.”

Katie’s stomach lurched as she tried to place the voice. Identification hovered at the edge of her mind. Who is that?

“Very well. I shall just blurt it out then. I’m out of money and I must have some to care for my daughter. I need money today or. . .”

“I won’t be blackmailed,” the man snapped.

A wave of heat swept Katie’s face. She heard a door slam, then weeping from Eliza. She wanted to comfort the sobbing young woman. Numb, Katie sat listening to the sobs on the line.

The door slammed again. “Who’s there?” Eliza asked in a quavering voice. She gasped, then uttered a noise between a squeak and a cry.

Katie heard a thud, then the door slammed again. “Eliza?” she whispered. A hiss, like air escaping from a tire, came to her ears. “Are you all right?”
Only silence answered her.

She jerked the cord from the switchboard and broke the connection. Unease twisted her belly. She’d already dispatched the constable to the lighthouse. But what if Eliza was in trouble? Her fingers trembled so much she had trouble slipping the jack back into the switchboard. She muffled her mouthpiece with her hand and asked Nell to come back early. She had to make sure Eliza was all right.

1 comment :

  1. This is quite an exciting read, I will put this book on my wish list.

    ReplyDelete

Newsletter Subscribe

Followers

Categories

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Historical Romantic Suspense

Historical Romance

Comments

Comments

Popular Posts

Guest Registry