Sunday, November 7, 2010

Max loves to go for walks. He runs down the porch stairs, acting as though it’s been years since he’s seen the light of day every time I grab the leash. I finally bought one of those retractable leashes, the ones that allow me to decide how much to let out, and took him for a walk.

The moment the door closed behind us, Max strained against the rope. I laughed and let it out a little. He ran ahead until the leash went taut, and then strained for more. Again, I let it out. Before long, there was no leash left, and Max was as far ahead of me as he could get.

“Max, come back,” I said, but he ignored me and continued to pull. I gave a tug. “Max, c’mon puppy. Follow me.”

Max tossed me a glance, as though to say, “It’s okay. I know where we’re going.”

Problem was, we weren’t taking the usual path. There was a different road I wanted to follow, but Max couldn’t see that because he was walking ahead instead of behind me.

I guess that’s why God commanded us to follow Him. We are never meant to go before Him, for that would make it impossible for us to see Him. We aren’t meant to walk beside Him. That would only lead to indecision as we struggle against what see ahead and what God commands us to do. Instead, we are to walk behind, following God, keeping our eyes focused on Him alone as He dictates our path. I think I’m pretty happy about that.


Luke 9:23-27 (New International Version)

23Then he said to them all: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. 24For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it. 25What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit his very self? 26If anyone is ashamed of me and my words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when he comes in his glory and in the glory of the Father and of the holy angels. 27I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the kingdom of God."

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Newsletter Subscribe

Followers

Categories

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Historical Romantic Suspense

Historical Romance

Comments

Comments

Popular Posts

Guest Registry