Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Ginger Garrett is the author of the Chronicles of the Scribes series (In the Shadow of Lions, In the Arms of Immortals, In the Eyes of Eternity), Dark Hour, and Beauty Secrets of the Bible. Chosen: The Lost Diaries of Queen Esther was recognized as one of the top five novels of 2006 by the ECPA.

Focusing on ancient women's history, Ginger Garrett creates novels and nonfiction resources that explore the lives of historical women. In addition to her writing, Garrett is a frequent radio and television guest. Her appearances include Fox News, NPR, The Harvest Show, Billy Graham’s Hour of Decision, and more. Ginger resides in Georgia with her husband and three children. Learn more about Ginger by visiting her website at http://www.gingergarrett.com/.

When did you decide to be a writer?

I survived a long ordeal of loss and longing after experiencing repeat pregnancy losses and the news I would never be able to bear children. I woke up to the pain all around me, and realized I lived in a world of hurting women. I wanted to write to comfort myself, and then I wanted to write to comfort others. That’s how the journey started.

At what point did you stop juggling suggestions and critiques and trust yourself (as a writer)?

I was supposed to do that somewhere along the way? Oops.

Are you a disciplined writer or do you just write when you feel like it?

Very disciplined, and I hate it. But the Bible says “No discipline seems pleasant at the tie but later yields a harvest.” I agree. I bribe myself by making two cups of tea before I even sit down. After I’ve gone through each one, I am generally awake and on a roll.

What kind of activities to you like to do that help you relax and step away from your deadlines for a bit?

I have three kids at home, and one Great Pyrenees puppy who weighs about 130, with some more growing to do yet. Those four “hobbies” keep me plenty busy! I also love reading, writing dumb poems, and cooking.

What is your favorite novel and what made it special?

Of someone else's? Anything by Pat Conroy. He makes me swoon. I still love the classic monster stories, too, and they are infinitely worth reading: Frankenstein, The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, Dracula.

How do you think reading the work of others helps you as a writer?

I see how they handled transitions between scenes, or changed up the order they tell the story in, or tease the reader. I see what is possible. I don’t read to be critical. I want to play when I read, and be told a story. You can’t have a critical spirit and play, too.

Tell us a little about your latest release:

In a tiny medieval German village, a double murder stirs up festering fears. The overworked sheriff is baffled, so the village priest sends for help to solve the mystery. But the charismatic inquisitor who answers the call brings with him a deadly mix of spiritual fervor and self-deceptive evil. Under his influence, ordinary village fears and resentments take a deadly turn, and dark secrets come to light. But in the midst of it all, a man and woman—the priest and the sheriff’s unloved wife—somehow dare to listen to another Voice … and discover what it means to love instead of fear.

Where did you get your inspiration for WOLVES AMONG US?

From history, particularly the Malleus Maleficarum a book produced by two “Christians” who taught that women were more prone to sin than men. And because women were more carnal in nature, they often assisted the devil in his earthly work. From these lies came a horrific wake of deaths and suffering across Europe, until the Pope began to speak out in truth and love.

Which character is most like you?

Probably the priest.

He’s clinging to what he’s been taught and confronting a crazy, frightening new world. In the end, he grasps the truth and becomes a hero. I hope someone says that about me someday!

Who is your favorite character and why?

Ava, the witch in a cage. She was based on a real woman in history, a witch who lived in a cage and was pulled from town to town, as a visual aid on the horrors of witchcraft. Her journey to genuine faith is touching.

Did you know how WOLVES AMONG US would turn out? Were you surprised by any of the plot twists or characters?

I did have an idea of the ending, and it didn’t work when I wrote it. I had to tweak it quite a bit. Because I’m writing this book for a primarily faith-based market, I had to work harder to be sure that the story supported faith, even when the characters made bad choices.

What is the main thing you hope readers remember from this story?

The horror of living without Truth, after you are a Christian. When we accept what people tell us about God, instead of reading the Word for ourselves, we are in grave danger of being led astray. Not everyone means to twist the Word, and many people who teach and lead are trustworthy and correct. But every once in a while, a wolf slips into the fold. If we don’t know what the Word says, we can be led astray and follow the wolf away from the shepherd.

What kinds of things have you done to market this book? Have you found anything that works particularly well?

I talk to my readers through my monthly newsletter, and am a frequent media guest. I don’t think media sells books, though. Word of mouth does. And you can’t buy that. You just have to write the best book you can and hope it moves someone.

Tell us what new projects you’re working on.

I am just about to finish the novel of Samson and Delilah. How fun is that?

Do you have any parting words of advice?

If you want to write, write. It’s an art and a wonderful passion. If you want to publish, that’s different. That’s a business and business rules apply. Business and art don’t mix well. It gets messy, and sometimes painful, too. Don’t confuse the two. Art is always worth creating!

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Newsletter Subscribe

Followers

Categories

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Historical Romantic Suspense

Historical Romance

Comments

Comments

Popular Posts

Guest Registry